CPD Learning Activities
All persons registered in terms of section 14 of the Act are required by Council to record their CPD activities on line. The recorded CPD should be relevant to the practice of the registered person or be concerned with or, encourage and enhance career development. Entries must be current (recorded within a month of completion) to the period of exposure to the learning activity and should ideally be spread evenly throughout the year. Below are definitions and examples of different types of learning activities that can be used:
Non Measurable Learning Activities
These are learning activities undertaken or presented on a once-off, non-continuous basis and do not necessarily have a clearly measurable outcome e.g.
- Self study;
- Casual reading of professional journal or magazines;
- Events presented by a non accredited organisation or individual, whereby a certificate of attendance was issued;
- Events presented by an accredited organisation or individual, whereby a certificate of attendance was issued;
- Breakfast meetings, presentations or journal clubs;
- Case study discussions;
- On-the-job learning;
- Conferences, symposia, refresher courses, short courses without a measurable outcome.
Measurable Learning Activities
These are learning activities presented by an Accredited Service Provider or training institution, carried out in a period covering not more than six months e.g.
- Research that results in publications;
- Principal author or co-author of a peer reviewed publication or chapter in a book;
- Review of an article/chapter in a book;
- External examiner of an undergraduate examination paper or Master and Doctoral theses on completion;
- Programs of study that involved the successful completion of a certification or examination from an accredited institution or provider;
- Accredited computer based learning activities that involve the successful completion of an examination or certification;
- Written assignments submitted to an accredited organization whereby a certificate of competence was issued.
Structures Learning Activities
This includes learning activities that are planned, recorded and/or presented by an accredited training institution, or evaluated by an accredited assessor, with a measurable outcome, carried out in a period exceeding six months e.g.
- Post graduate studies e.g. MBA, MPA, MBL, MSc (Med), LLB, carried out in a period of more than six months.